Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 large onion (peeled and diced);
- 40ml Ginger Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil;
- 750ml of chicken (or vegetable stock);
- 200 g (dried) red lentils;
- 800g crushed fresh tomatoes (tinned is fine if you don’t have any fresh – but add 1tsp of sugar);
- 1 tsp (each) ground Ginger, Coriander, Cumin and Sweet Paprika;
- ½ tsp (each) ground White or Black Pepper, Cinnamon and Turmeric;
- ¼ tsp (each) ground Nutmeg, and Chilli Powder;
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- fresh coriander coarsely chopped to serve
- Saute onion in Ginger Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil on medium heat until soft; then add all spices and cook through for a minute to release flavours. Add lentils and stir, followed by tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer – 30 mins.
- Season with salt & pepper and sprinkle with fresh coriander prior to serving.
To make life easier and because I make the soup often, I find it simpler to make up a larger quantity of spice blend and then simply add the premixed combination when I make the soup. To add a little more spice, try adding some dried Peperoncino – for that extra heat hit.