Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 6 medium-sized pears, peeled and cored;
- 375ml cups red wine;
- 250ml apple juice;
- juice from 1/2 lemon;
- 2 tbsp sugar;
- 2-3 Star Anise (optional);
- 120ml Caramelised Apple Balsamic Vinegar
- Peel and core the pears, and slice off the top and bottom. Place them in a medium-sized bowl, and pour apple juice and lemon juice over top. Allow the pears to sit for 30 mins.
- Pour the red wine into a saucepan large enough to hold the pears. Turn the heat to high, and when the wine starts to bubble, add sugar and apple/lemon juice mixture which the pears have been soaking in. Allow the liquid to reach a boil, then turn the heat down to medium-low. Add star anise if desired.
- Place the pears in the saucepan, small-end down. Cover the pan and leave to macerate for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer pears to bowl, cover with poaching liquid (and a lid) and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
Remove the pears from the poaching liquid and slice. Pears will be a crimson red outside and a lovely hue of light pink inside.
Drizzle with Caramelised Apple Balsamic Vinegar and enjoy.