- 3 Eggplants (about 900g) trimmed;
- 6 zucchini, trimmed & cut lengthways into 5cm slices;
- 6 bulbs of baby fennel, trimmed and cut into 6 wedges each;
- 12 zucchini flowers (their petals gently opened but not torn);
- Basil Infused EVOO for shallow frying
- 200ml pale beer;
- 2tsp sea salt;
- freshly ground black pepper;
- 100g plain flour
- 125g whole blanched almonds;
- 1 slice sourdough (crust removed), cut into 5mm pieces;
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley;
- ½ cup garlic chives;
- juice & finely grated rind 1 lemon;
- 65ml Basil Infused EVOO
Season eggplant, zucchini and fennel with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and let stand for 30 mins before patting dry.
Heat a little olive oil in a large heavy based pan and cook in batches (over a medium-high heat), until tender and golden on both sides. Drain on absorbent paper (reserve the pan and oil).
Batter: Combine pale beer, sea salt and freshly ground white pepper, and sprinkle sifted plain flour over, whisking until just combined.
Using the reserved pan and oil, heat over medium heat, dip zucchini flowers in batter and cook in batches until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
Heat olive oil in frying pan over low heat and add almonds – stir until golden. Remove almonds and drain on absorbent paper. Add croutons, and do same. Slice cooled almonds coarsely with a large sharp knife.
To serve, place almonds, croutons and remaining ingredients in bowl (including Basil Infused EVOO), season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and toss well.